Bacon BBQ Chicken Bombs
This recipe has chicken, cheese, BBQ sauce, bacon and jalapeno. Yes, it's as good as you are dreaming it is!
Author: Reposted from cakescottage.com
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 10 fillets
- 5 jalapenos, de-seeded, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 slices bacon
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- If using chicken breasts, cut them lengthwise into thin fillets, each fillet will make one bomb.
- Pound the chicken fillets between parchment paper until about ¼ inch thin.
- Season each with salt and pepper.
- Wash jalapenos, cut
stemoff, slice lengthwise, remove seeds and clean out center
- Rinse jalapenos a second time.
- In a mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and
cheddercheese until well blended.
- Fill each jalapeno half with approximately 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture.
- Place filled jalapeno half, cheese side down on chicken fillets and roll chicken around jalapeno.
- It doesn't always close the way you think it should. No worries! The bacon will pull it all together.
- Wrap 2 pieces of bacon (one at a time) tightly around the rolled chicken, start at one end, wrap half the fillet and finish the 2nd half with the other piece of bacon, and tuck bacon into itself to seal ends closed.
- You do not need toothpicks, because it all comes together in the cooking process.
For Grill Version
- Preheat grill to 350°F and place chicken bombs on the grill to cook over indirect for approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken bombs on the grill every 5 minutes to ensure it is cooking evenly, and baste with barbecue sauce each time you turn it.
- Just before the chicken bombs are done, baste one last time.
- Be sure chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- If you have a meat thermometer, chicken is ready when it reaches an internal temp of 165°F,
otherwisepierce chicken bombs with a fork.
- When they are done, remove from the grill and let them rest 5 minutes.
For Oven Version
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place chicken bombs on a
foil linedbaking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning once to help cook the bacon.
- I suggest changing baking sheets/pans in order to lose some of the bacon fat.
- Reduce heat to 375°F, line another baking sheet or pan, and place chicken bombs in a new one.
- Brush each chicken bomb with barbecue sauce, then use a spatula to flip them over to the other side, and brush the tops with more sauce and return to the oven for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush on more sauce, and place under broil setting for a few minutes so bacon can crisp completely, and the chicken is totally cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Slice into ½ to
1 inchslices and ENJOY!