Cheesy Ranch Chicken Potato Foil Packets
A versatile meal that can be cooked in the oven, a grill or prepared and heated over a campfire when backpacking!
Author: Adapted from A Spicy Perspective
Serves: 4 Packets
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb golden new potatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ranch dip seasoning packet
- 8 slices (¾ oz each) American cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Slice the potatoes into ⅓ inch slices. Cut the bell pepper and peeled onion into 1 inch pieces. Place the chopped veggies in a bowl. Mix in the olive oil and the ranch seasoning packet. Toss to coat.
- Lay four 14" x 18" pieces of foil out on the counter. Divide the vegetables evenly between the foil pieces, piling them in the middle of each piece.
- Chop the chicken into 1 inch chunks. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Then pile the chicken pieces evenly on top of the veggie piles.
- Lift the long ends of the foil over each chicken and vegetable stack and neatly fold them together at least three times, so they stay secure. Then fold the shorter ends toward the center at least three times each, on both sides. The packets should be tightly secured on all sides. Refrigerate or place in an ice chest until ready to grill.
- When ready to cook, preheat a grill to high heat, between 500°F to 600°F. Once hot, place the packets on the grill and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil packets with tongs and carefully open them up. Then place two slices of cheese and a sprinkle of chopped parsley over each packet. Set them back on the grill for 1 to 2 minutes, just long enough for the cheese to melt. Serve warm!