Chicken and Dumplings
A new twist on an old favourite! Comfort food at it's finest.
Author: Steve Brochew - Chartier Beaumont
- 4 litres chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cup onion, diced
- 4 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 sprig fresh
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cups chicken broth with vegetable bits in it (you may need more or less)
- Over medium heat, pour in the chicken stock in a soup pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add whole chicken and simmer until chicken is
fork tenderand pulls away from the bone easily.
- At this point, remove whole chicken from the broth and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Keep broth on heat at a low simmer.
- Add vegetables to the broth and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhilepull chicken meat off the bone and add meat back to the broth.
- Add chopped herbs and soy sauce.
- Let the broth reduce by a quarter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While broth is still simmering, prepare the dumpling mixture.
- Mix flour, buttermilk and lemon juice together taking care to not overmix.
mixturelooks dry and clumpy add a bit more cold broth to make it stickier.
- With a heaping tablespoon, drop batter into the soup broth.
- Cover pot with a lid and cook dumplings for 2 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and just before serving, remove the herb sprigs and discard.
- Serve in your
favoritesoup tureen or soup bowls.