Slow cooked Chicken Cacciatore, with chicken falling off the bone in a rich and rustic sauce is simple Italian comfort food at its best.
- 6 chicken thighs, skinless bone-in
- 1 carrot, large
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 20½ oz mushrooms
- 1 onion, medium
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 2 tbsp parsley and basil
- 14 oz Roma tomatoes, mini
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup black olives, pitted
- 1 yellow pepper, small
- 1 red pepper, small
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 x 14 oz (410 g) cans crushed tomatoes
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy cast iron skillet, drizzled with olive oil. Add the garlic and fry until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the onion, peppers, carrot, mushrooms and the herbs; sauté for 5 minutes until the onion is transparent and the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Add the chicken and sear on both sides until deep golden brown on both sides. Occasionally mix the vegetables around the chicken in the pan so they don't stick.
- Pour in the wine and allow it to simmer and reduce down (about 5 to 6 minutes).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Roma tomatoes and chill flakes. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes. Continue to cook over stove top or in the oven following the instructions below.
For Stove Top
- Mix all of the ingredients together; cover with lid, reduce heat and allow to simmer (while stirring occasionally) for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Add in the olives, allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
For the Oven
- Transfer the covered skillet to a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) and cook for 50 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for an additional 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone, and the sauce has reduced down.
Calories: 217 Fat: 9 g Saturated fat: 1.6 g Carbohydrates: 14.5 g Sugar: 6.4 g Sodium: 666.3 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 17.4 g Cholesterol: 64.9 mg