Chicken Caesar Salad
With a little advance preparation, the components for this tasty salad can be stored in the fridge and then assembled and served within minutes.
Author: Martha Stewart
For the Croutons and Chicken
- 4 oz Italian bread, cut in ¾ inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets (each 2 to 3 oz and ½ inch thick)
- 1 package romaine lettuce hearts (18 to 20 oz)
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes; remove from oven; and let cool.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side; remove from skillet and let cool.
- Cut romaine crosswise into 1-inch ribbons.
- Wash and dry.
- In a blender, combine lemon juice, mayonnaise, Parmesan, anchovy fillets (if using), and garlic; blend until smooth.
- If preparing this recipe in advance, see storage instructions (below).
- If stored in refrigerator, bring chicken and dressing to room temperature.
- Slice chicken crosswise into strips; toss with croutons, lettuce, and dressing.
Croutons can be made 3 days ahead and stored in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature. Chicken can be cooked and stored, covered, overnight in the refrigerator. Store washed lettuce, in a large bowl with paper towels, and dressing, covered, overnight in the refrigerator. Bring the chicken and dressing to room temperature before serving.