Chicken Spring Rolls
These can be prepared and frozen for a quick appetizer at a later date!
Author: Chef Kitty Poon
Serves: 36 to 40 Rolls
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- white pepper
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lb ground chicken
- black fungus dried
- ⅓ cup diced carrots
- 1 small onion quartered
- 1.32 oz bundle of vermicelli bean thread
- 6” x 6” spring roll wrappers (50 sheet pack)
- canola oil to fry
- Soak ½ oz of black fungus for 30 minutes, strain and set aside.
- Soak 1 bundle of vermicelli thread for 30 minutes, strain and set aside.
- Add carrot, onion, vermicelli thread, black fungus to
foodprocessor and run until ingredients are finely chopped.
- In a large bowl mix sugar, salt, egg, a pinch of white pepper, soya sauce and fish sauce. Add ingredients from food processor to mixture; stir. Add egg and, ground chicken stirring thoroughly.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the filling mixture onto the centre of spring roll wrap. Have a small bowl of water nearby to dip fingers, for rolling. Fold two opposite edges towards
middle, fold one of the other corners over filling and roll so that the last edge or fold is on the bottom of the roll. Place on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. To cook heat deep fryer to 350°F, add rolls to the canola oil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until rolls start to float and are a light golden brown.
- Serve hot with plum sauce.