Chicken with Fall Vegetables and Whole Grain Couscous
Serving size: 670g
This hearty autumn recipe is chock full of exotic spices and familiar vegetables. It’s delicious on those early fall nights when there’s the slightest chill in the air.
- 1.5 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpeas, dried
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) saffron
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick(s), 6 ", broken in half
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 red onion(s), cut in ⅛ths
- 20 baby carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) parsnip(s), diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) butternut squash, peeled, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red hot chili pepper(s), fresh, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut in ⅛ths
- 1 cup (250 mL) zucchini, sliced
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) seedless raisins
- ½ cup (125 mL) flat leaf parsley, fresh, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole grain couscous
- 2 cups (500 mL) water, for the couscous
- Place dry chickpeas in 1.5 liters of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer until chickpeas are tender but not overcooked - approximately 45 minutes. Drain and set aside. (This can be done 1-2 days ahead. Keep cooked chickpeas in the fridge).
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the saffron and toast for 1 minute. Add turmeric, cinnamon, chicken broth and stir. Add chicken, onions, carrots, parsnips, squash and chili pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini. Simmer, covered, until just cooked. Add salt, cooked chickpeas, raisins and fresh minced parsley. Remove cinnamon stick.
- To prepare the couscous pour 2 cups (500 mL) of boiling water into a glass serving dish with a lid. Stir in whole-grain couscous, cover and let sit 15 minutes.
- To serve, place a large spoonful of couscous in the centre of each plate or shallow soup dish. Ladle broth, chicken and vegetables around couscous. Garnish with fresh parsley and a few raisins.