Comforting & Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Yes it’s possible to make uber soul-satisfying chicken and dumplings for a weeknight dinner with little effort – even if you’ve never made dumplings before. Couldn’t be easier in a slow cooker. While you can use low-fat soup, it is better with regular.
Author: Developed for CFC by Monda Rosenberg
- 1 whole chicken (or 6 to 8 bone-in skinless chicken pieces)
- 10 oz (285 g) can cream of chicken soup
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) poultry seasoning
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup (250 ml) baby carrots
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried leaf thyme or rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cold butter
- ½ to ⅔ cup (125 to 180 ml) milk
- If using a whole chicken, remove skin. Then remove backbone and save for soup. Cut legs into drumsticks and thighs. Slice breasts into a total of 4 pieces. If using thighs, leave whole.
- Turn slow cooker to high and add soup and poultry seasonings. Stir to evenly mix. Then chop onion and add with carrots. Stir until coated with soup. Place chicken pieces on top, bone-side up. Press into the soup mixture. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- After chicken has cooked 3 hours, continue to cook on high while you prepare dumplings. In a large bowl, stir flour with baking powder, thyme and salt. Coarsely grate in butter, then gently stir it in. Gradually stir in ½ cup (125 ml) milk. Dough should be very moist. If some areas are still dry, stir in more milk, a tablespoon (15 ml) at a time.
- Stir chicken and vegetables, making sure you turn the chicken pieces. Drop rounded large spoonfuls of dough on top of creamy mixture, leaving as much space between them as you can. It will make 8 to 9 dumplings. Do not push them into the sauce. They should be about half submerged. Cover and continue cooking 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid during this time. Serve in wide bowls, sprinkled with parsley if you like.
Calories: 537 Fat: 19 g Saturated fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 37 g Sodium: 1456 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 53 g Cholesterol: 174 mg