Creamy Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder
Author: Adapted from Pinterest
Serves: 10 - 12 people
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cream or half and half
- 1 - 14.5 oz large can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed; or 2 - 12 oz cans peaches and cream corn kernels, drained
- 1 – 19 oz. cream corn
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups shredded Pepper Jack or Monterrey Jack cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Toppings: shredded cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream, etc.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño and red pepper; sauté until vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes more.
- Whisk in chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, corn, black beans and spices. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the chicken and shredded cheese and simmer for another 15-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until flavours are combined and cheese is melted. Just before serving, stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Top with avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips, and your favourite taco toppings before serving.