Creamy Spinach and Chicken Fettuccine
This simple creamy Spinach and Chicken Fettuccine recipe takes only as long as the wait for the pasta to become tender. The creamy sauce is loaded with spinach and cubed chicken.
Author: Alberta Chicken Producers
Recipe type: Main Dishes
- 1 pound dry fettuccine pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced small
- 6 to 8 whole garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite-size cubes
- ⅛ cup diced sun dried tomatoes
- ¾ to 1 cup blanched spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh heavy cream
- ½ cup water
- Fresh ground black pepper and red chili flakes for topping (optional)
- After you've cut and prepped all the ingredients, start a large pot of boiling water to cook the pasta.
- After the water comes to a boil, add pasta and stir gently.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat for 12 minutes or until tender to the bite.
- Cook onion and garlic cloves in butter over medium heat until they are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Do NOT let the onions and garlic turn brown.
- Add in the flour, pepper and salt.
- Stir constantly, removing any dry flour lumps and cook flour for up to 3 to 4 minutes.
- The longer you cook the flour the better the sauce will taste.
- Stir in the chicken cubes and chopped spinach, making sure to coat them with the cooked flour.
- Reduce the heat to a medium-low and slowly add in the heavy cream.
- It will become a thick sauce very quickly so start by adding half of the water to thin the sauce.
- If you think it is still too thick (we don't want gravy, only a creamy sauce), add the remaining water.
- When the sauce is heated through, remove from heat.
- Do NOT bring the sauce to a boil.
- Heavy cream will curdle, that's not pretty or creamy.
- The pasta should be tender by now, drain off the water, then transfer pasta to a large serving bowl.
- Pour the creamy spinach and chicken sauce over the pasta and toss until everything is well coated.
- The sauce will thicken up even more and adhere to the pasta if you allow it a couple of minutes to set before serving.
- Allow each person to season their dish with ground pepper flakes if they wish.