Fab Fajita Sliders
Can’t decide between fajitas and burgers for the <g class="gr_ gr_59 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="59" data-gr-id="59">neighborhood</g> party? Now you can serve up utterly delicious burgers bursting with those big Tex-Mex fajita <g class="gr_ gr_58 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="58" data-gr-id="58">flavours,</g> but in a no-drip patty form. You can make and shape patties ahead if you like. So you don’t need to spend party time flipping burgers, we’ve included a smart method for baking all the sliders (mini burgers) at once.
Author: Developed for CFC by Monda Rosenberg
- 1 egg
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cumin, ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano, dried
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 - 1½ cup (250 ml) old cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup (60 ml) breadcrumbs
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely-chopped(
- Avocado or guacamole, for garnish
- tomato(es), sliced, for garnish 10 slider rolls
- Whisk egg in a wide bowl. Add the chicken and spread out so it covers the widest area possible. Sprinkle with the
chilipowder, cumin, oregano, salt and garlic powder. Scatter with the cheese, bread crumbs and jalapeno. Stir with a fork to evenly distribute ingredients.
- SLIDERS (MINI BURGERS): If your burger buns are about 2½ inches (6 cm) wide, mound mixture into a 25 ml measure (about 2 tablespoons). Turn onto a piece of parchment paper lining a large baking sheet. Repeat to form 10 to 12 mounds. Then using the back of a glass, gently press into small burgers, about 3 inches (6 cm) wide and at least ⅓ inch ( 2 cm) thick. They shrink as they cook. Press down in the centre with your thumb and pat the sides to make sure they are as smooth as possible. If not baking right away, cover with clear wrap and refrigerate up to a day.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven, turning over halfway
through,until burgers are firm to the touch, about 8 minutes a side.
- REGULAR BURGERS: To make regular size burgers, divide mixture in four and form each into a patty about ½ inch (1 cm) thick. Press down in the centre with your thumb to form an indent that prevents bulging during cooking. Pour oil into a wide frying pan placed over medium heat.
- When piping hot, add the burgers. Cover and cook over medium until browned, about 3 minutes a side. Then decrease heat to low. Cover and continue cooking about 4 more minutes a side. Or bake burgers at 375°F (190°C) for 10 to 12 minutes a side. Serve burgers on soft buns topped with avocado or guacamole and tomato slices.
Serving size: 125 g Calories: 270 Fat: 15 g Saturated fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 15 g Sugar: 2 g Sodium: 380 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 16 g Cholesterol: 70 mg