Greek Yogurt Chicken & Lemon Rice
This recipe comes together in a snap. Lean chicken is coated in a delicious lemon and Greek <g class="gr_ gr_55 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="55" data-gr-id="55">yogurt</g> mixture resulting in flavourful and juicy baked chicken. Serve with the lemony brown rice and a bright green vegetable like green beans or broccoli.
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
- 4 tsp (20 ml) lemon zest, fresh, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown rice, long grain
- 2 cups (500 ml) water or according to package directions for the rice
- 1 cup (250 ml) Greek
yogurt, plain, 2% MF
- ½ cup (125 ml) parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano, leaf, dried
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 large chicken breast, boneless, skinless (about 1 lb - 450 g)
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) paprika, sweet
- 1 green onion, raw, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- Remove the zest from one lemon using a zester or a sharp knife to make 4 teaspoons (20 ml) zest. As you remove the yellow peel try to avoid removing the white pith which is bitter. Prepare 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice and set aside.
- Cook brown rice in unsalted water according to package directions. Add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon zest and 3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh lemon juice to cooking water at the beginning of cooking.
- In a medium bowl whisk together Greek
yogurt, shredded parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon zest, minced garlic, dried oregano and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally making four thinner pieces. Add chicken to
yogurtmixture and use a fork to turn and coat well. Place in baking dish sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Pour any leftover marinade over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 45 minutes until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 165°F (74°C).
- To serve place a piece of the Greek
yogurtchicken over top of the lemony brown rice. Garnish with finely sliced green onion (optional garnish).
Serving size: 475 g Calories: 330 Fat: 7 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 26 g Sugar: 2 g Sodium: 270 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 40 g Cholesterol: 85 mg