Red Quinoa & Chicken Rice Tortilla Wraps
Quinoa (pronounced keen-<g class="gr_ gr_56 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="56" data-gr-id="56">wa</g>) is an ancient grain originally cultivated by the Incas in the Andes Mountains of South America. The red quinoa, rich in fibre and high in protein, is perfect in this fresh, light salad. Featuring a slight Asian kick courtesy of a hit of ginger, honey, and Hoisin sauce, these wraps are perfect for a light summer meal. If you can’t find red quinoa, feel free to substitute with regular quinoa.
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
Serves: 6 servings
- 1½ - 2 cup (250 mL) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) red quinoa
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) beets, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas, frozen
- ¼ cup (60 mL) hoisin sauce,
- ¼ cup (60 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cilantro, fresh, minced
- 6 brown rice tortillas
- Chop cooked chicken and set aside.
- Toast quinoa over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet for 2 minutes. Shake it and move it around with a wooden spoon so it doesn't burn.
- Add quinoa to water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or according to package directions. Cook until grain is tender and liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil over
medium highheat in a non-stick skillet. Add minced garlic, green onion, minced ginger, grated beet and peas. Sauté over medium highheat for 3 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat. Stir together with chicken and quinoa in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together Hoisin sauce, mayonnaise and honey. Stir into
quinoa vegetablemixture along with the minced cilantro.
- To make wraps place 125 mL or ½ cup of filling into
centreof each tortilla. Fold in edges and roll up.
Serving size: 1 Wrap Calories: 210 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 340mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 15g Cholesterol: 35mg