Saffron Seafood Rice
Author: Alberta Chicken Producers
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 12 chicken drumettes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 3 cups medium grain rice
- 1 quart (1 litre) chicken broth
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ lb (375 g) raw medium shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 10 oz (300 g) scallops
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine the saffron and wine in a small bowl and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Cook the chorizo in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown the chicken in the same pot in 2 batches for about 5 minutes each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Drain any fat from the pot.
- Heat the oil in the same pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Add the rice and stir to combine.
- Add the saffron mixture and chorizo and stir constantly until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of the broth and stir until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the remaining broth and chicken.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, shrimp, scallops and peas and cook covered, for about 10 minutes or until the chicken, seafood and rice are tender.
Make Ahead: This recipe is best made just before serving.