Saucy Barbecue Chicken Pizza
This delicious prizewinning recipe uses a maple barbeque sauce for maximum flavour impact. If you’ve never tried barbeque chicken pizza before, look no further than this recipe! You’ll be making it again and again
Author: Adapted from a recipe by Canadian Living 2007 Cook of the Year 3rd prize winner Karen Dunn of Oromocto, New Brunswick.
- Saucy Barbecue Chicken Pizza:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz (230 g) white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, small, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) peppered Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped (optional)
- cornmeal (polenta)
Maple Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- ½ onion,
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) mustard powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) thyme, dried
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) rosemary, dried
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- cayenne pepper, pinch
- ⅔ cups (170 mL) tomato sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) tomato paste
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg quick-rise yeast, or 1 tablespoon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water, very hot
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Saucy Barbecue Chicken Pizza
- Place chicken on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, for 10 minutes. Baste with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the sauce; grill until no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to cutting board; let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into bite-size pieces; transfer to bowl and toss with ⅓ cup (75 mL) of the sauce. Set aside.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté mushrooms until browned and liquid is
evaporated,about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in onion. Set aside.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; divide in half and shape each into
disc. Roll out each into 13-inch (33 cm) circle. Dust two 12-inch (30 cm) round pizza pans with cornmeal; centre dough on each, folding excess dough underneath to form raised edge.
- Spread remaining sauce evenly over pizza. Top with chicken and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake in top and bottom thirds or 425°F (220°C) oven, rotating and switching pans halfway
through,until bottomof crust is crispy and cheese is bubbly,about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Cut each pizza into 6 slices.
Maple Barbecue Sauce
largeheavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in mustard, brown sugar, soy sauce,
chilipowder, thyme, rosemary, cinnamon and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, vinegar, orange juice and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 week.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 ¾ cups (675 mL) of the flour, yeast and Tex-Mex seasoning.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water, oil, salt and sugar; stir into flour mixture to form
- Turn out onto
lightlyfloured surface; knead, adding enough of remaining flour to prevent sticking, until dough is smooth and springs back when pressed in centre, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 50 minutes.
Serving size: 225g Calories: 410 Fat: 13g Saturated fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 40g Sugar: 10g Sodium: 500mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 33g Cholesterol: 75mg