Trisha's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Make sure you make extras. Not only is this delicious the first time, some think the leftovers are even better!
Author: Trish Yearwood for the Food Network
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 10¾ oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup prepared salsa, mild or spicy
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled, drained and shredded
- 16 oz bag of tortilla chips
- 8 oz Monterey Jack, grated
- 8 oz sharp Cheddar, grated
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.27 oz packet fajita seasoning
- ½ cup sour cream
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth and the half-and-half.
- Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.