Arroz con Pollo Burritos (Rice and Chicken Burritos)
Few things feed a crowd better than burritos. In this mole-inspired recipe, cocoa, tomatoes and chipotle peppers combine to create authentic Mexican flavour. Served with creamy avocado, tart lime and tangy shredded cheddar cheese, these burritos are an easy, delicious kitchen staple to add to your meal plan.
Author: Chicken Farmers of Canada
- 8 whole wheat tortillas, 10 inch
- ¾ lb (0.4 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 1 cup (250 ml) onion(s), diced
- ½ cup (125 ml) short grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin, seeds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano, dried
- ½ cup (125 ml) seedless raisins
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 tomatoes, fresh, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 green pepper, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice, fresh
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook rice in boiling unsalted water according to package directions.
- Sauté chicken and onion with oregano chili powder and cumin in a non-stick skillet until cooked through.
- Add raisins, cocoa powder, water, tomatoes, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, tomato paste, and green pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the cover and cook until the liquid is almost gone.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Dice avocado and sprinkle with fresh lime juice.
Serve with additional garnishes, such as minced cilantro and your favourite salsa. If you like your food less spicy, omit the chipotle in adobo sauce. Freeze individual burritos (minus the avocado) for convenient pack and go lunches.
Serving size: 300 g Calories: 470 g Fat: 19 g Saturated fat: 3.5 g Carbohydrates: 55 g Sugar: 10 g Sodium: 630 mg Fiber: 8 g Protein: 20 g Cholesterol: 45 mg