Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie
This Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie is comfort food at it's finest. Topped with melt-in-your-mouth Southern buttermilk drop biscuits, you just can't go wrong.
Author: Reposted from Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen
Serves: 6 to 8
- 4 tbsp butter or light butter
- 3 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp chicken seasoning
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup half & half
- 3 cup roasted chicken, roughly chopped
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetable, steamed and drained
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1½ to 2 cup heavy cream or whole buttermilk
- melted butter or cream to bush the tops
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. On the stovetop in a 10 inch cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet, melt the butter. Add the green onion and minced garlic and cook over medium-high for 1 to 2 minutes until softened.
- Lower the heat to medium, sprinkle ¼ cup
all purposeflour over the butter. Add the poultry seasoning, salt and black pepper to your taste. Stir until the butter is absorbed.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and half & half. Simmer until thickened around 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken, steamed mixed vegetables and chopped tarragon. Stir until evenly combined.
- For the biscuits, in a medium mixing bowl, mix together the self-rising flour, Parmesan cheese, and chives. Add 1½ cup heavy cream or whole buttermilk, adding additional as needed to form a soft dough.
- Use a 2 oz ice cream scoop to form the biscuit topping. Space evenly on top. Brush the tops with additional cream or melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and the biscuits are cooked through. Broil if needed to brown the tops.