Fried Chicken and Watermelon Salad
Author: Chef Frank Lee - Maverick Kitchens
For Fried Chicken
- high-heat frying oil, such as grapeseed oil
- 4 x 6 oz boneless chicken breasts, cut into 6 strips each
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cracker meal
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- ¼ cup merlot vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches sugar
- pinch salt
- pinch white pepper
- ¼ red watermelon, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups baby arugula, loosely packed
- 8 oz goat cheese
- ½ cup pecans, toasted
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- Cover bottom of large skillet with oil, about ½ inch deep, and heat over medium-high heat.
- In a shallow dish or bowl, combine chicken and buttermilk.
- In a separate shallow dish or bowl, whisk together flour, cracker meal, salt, and pepper. Dredge buttermilk-soaked chicken in dry mixture and fry in oil until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, salt, sugar, and pepper. Toss remaining ingredients together to make salad and serve with fried chicken on top.