Chicken Cacciatore, Friulano & Goat Cheese Pizza
This pizza has loads of flavour, thanks to three different kinds of cheese and several vegetables. Laden with tomatoes, chicken, mushrooms, red onion, and sweet peppers, this pizza is a balanced meal in itself.
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
- 0.5 lb (0 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 0.25 red onion(s), sliced
- 0.25 tsp (0 mL) hot red
- 2 tsp (10 mL) oregano, dried + 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dried
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine, dry
- 0.5 red pepper(s), sliced
- 0.5 yellow pepper(s), sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pizza crust, whole grain, 9-inch (23 cm)
- 0.5 cups (0 mL) pizza sauce
- 6 heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3.5 oz (90 g) goat cheese, semi-soft, 30%
- 4 oz (115 g) Friulano cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Parmesan cheese, peeled, grated
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Heat oil over medium heat in non-stick skillet. Cut chicken thighs in long strips across the grain - about 1 cm wide. Sauté in oil with garlic, red onion,
chilipepper flakes and 1 teaspoon of oregano for 5 minutes. Add red wine, yellow and red pepper slices and sliced mushrooms and sauté a few more minutes. Chicken should be cooked through and reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Place ready-made pizza crusts on baking pan and spread with ¼ cup (60 mL) sauce on each of the two bases. Top with chicken and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle on sliced heirloom cherry tomatoes, small chunks of goat cheese and Friulano cheese. Finish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and the remaining oregano.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 10-15 minutes until crust starts to brown. If desired, broil 2 minutes to brown toppings.
- Cut each pizza into four slices and enjoy!
This recipe was tested with 2 pizza bases. You can also use an 18” prepared pizza base or make a home-made crust using <g class="gr_ gr_52 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="52" data-gr-id="52">recipe</g> for home-made crust under <g class="gr_ gr_53 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="53" data-gr-id="53">recipe</g> for Grilled Chicken Pizza Margherita.
Serving size: 140g Calories: 230 Fat: 13g Saturated fat: 7g Carbohydrates: 12g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 190mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 17g Cholesterol: 45mg