Spinach and Chicken Cannelloni
Author: Alberta Chicken Producers
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb (500 g) ground chicken
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup finely grated, fresh parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 7 oz (200 g) package oven ready cannelloni
- 24 oz (700 ml) can pasta sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Grease a large shallow casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and chicken and cook, stirring occasionally for about l0 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the ricotta and parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper, stir until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a resealable plastic bag or a piping bag without a nozzle.
- Snip a corner of the plastic bag and pipe the chicken mixture into each cannelloni shell.
- Pour ⅓ of the sauce into the casserole dish.
- Place the cannelloni in a single layer on the pasta sauce.
- Pour the remaining pasta sauce over the cannelloni and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the cheese is golden brown.
Make Ahead: The cannelloni can be made 3 days ahead and stored, covered in the refrigerator or frozen for up to 3 months.