As a Dietitian and Mama, I love to find recipes that pack quality protein and keep my kids smiling. One (1) chicken drumstick boasts 12 grams of satisfying protein and 75 calories. True, this recipe requires a hearty supply of napkins, but it turns out a little mess is half the fun anyway. Enjoy, friends.
Author: Emily Mardell
- 2 lbs (900 g) skinless chicken drumsticks, prepared “lollipop-style.” (See GetJoyfull Tip below)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) 100% orange juice
- ¾ cup (180 mL) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (125 mL) prepared orange marmalade
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) molasses
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- 1-2 tsp (5-10 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh orange, zest
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare chicken drumsticks “lollipop-style.” [GetJoyfull Tip: Use a sharp paring knife to carefully cut around the top of the drumstick. Cut all the way around through the skin, meat, and tendons until you reach the bone. Use side of the knife to remove tendons and push the meat down towards the bottom of the drumstick forming a lollipop "handle" for easy eating.]
- Layer chicken lollipops in a Dutch oven, drizzle with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add sauce ingredients into a medium bowl and stir to combine with a whisk or fork.
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken and cover with lid. Bake chicken for 45 minutes.
- Remove Dutch oven lid and bast chicken with thickened sauce from pan. Cook chicken uncovered for another 15 minutes, until chicken lollipops are shiny and caramelized. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Plate lollipops family style and garnish with extra sauce from pan, chopped green onion, orange zest curls and pomegranate arils.
Emily Mardell is a Registered Dietitian, busy mama of three and proud Alberta foodie. Emily is passionate about quality ingredients and creating delicious, nourishing recipes that bring families together. Follow her at GetJoyfull.com for nutrition advice and tips to grow food joy and fill up on family time.
Calories: 75 Protein: 12 g